Helping Clients Protect Their Future and Their Liberty

How Adjustment Of Status Works

Adjustment of status petitions enable people to apply to become permanent residents without having to leave the country to obtain an immigrant visa. This can save a great deal of expense and effort. In certain circumstances, individuals who are facing deportation may be able to avoid removal by applying for an USCIS adjustment of status.

Find out whether you are eligible for an adjustment of status. Talk to me, Mark Perez, an experienced Dallas immigration attorney. I have extensive experience helping people navigate the complicated United States immigration system. Schedule a complimentary consultation by calling 214-646-1557. You can also reach me online.

What Is Necessary To Apply For Adjustment Of Status

Adjustment of status is also known as the I-485 form. In order to qualify to apply for an adjustment of status, you must meet the following criteria:

1. Available visa — There must be adjustment of status or immigration visas available.

2. Legally on U.S. soil — You must be here legally.

3. Admissible — You must qualify as being admissible for a visa. Individuals who have been convicted of violent crimes are considered inadmissible for immigration purposes.

It can be difficult to know whether you meet these qualifications. When you meet with me, I will review your situation and determine whether an adjustment of status petition is possible for you.

Who Is Eligible To Apply?

  • Family members with approved I-130 petitions for family members
  • Fianc(é)es who have an approved I-130 petition or were admitted under K-1 petitions and married within 90 days
  • Workers with approved I-140 employment petitions
  • Green card lottery winners
  • Cuban citizens who have been in the United States for at least a year

Differences From Immigration Visa

Unlike an immigration visa, which must be applied for abroad at a U.S. Consular Office, the adjustment of status petition is applied for while you are in the United States.

Do You Have Immigration Questions? Talk To An Immigration Lawyer Today!

Get real answers to your immigration questions and find out what your options are. As an experienced immigration lawyer, I can review your situation with you and give you options. Call Mark A. Perez, Attorney at Law, in Dallas at 214-646-1557.